- Are there undiscovered principles of nature: new symmetries, new physical laws?
- How can we solve the mystery of dark energy? Dark energy that permeates empty space must have a quantum explanation. Is it related to the Higgs field?
- Are there extra dimensions of space?
- Do all the forces become one at the most fundamental level?
- Why are there exactly 3 families (generations, flavors) of fermions. Why do their masses differ so dramatically?
- What is dark matter? How can we make it in the laboratory?
- What are neutrinos telling us? What role did neutrinos play in the evolution of the universe? Their tiny nonzero masses may signal new physics.
- How did the universe come to be? Understanding the universe’s inflationary expansion and formation of matter after the big bang requires new theories.
- What happened to the anti-matter? The big bang should have produced equal amounts of matter and anti-matter, yet the anti-matter is gone. What happened?
- Do all the neutrino types oscillate into the other types?
- Are neutrinos their own anti-particles?
- Do neutrinos interact differently with matter than with anti-matter?
Source: Symmetry magazine (a joint publication of Fermilab and SLAC) Volume 8, Issue 3