The InPhO analyzes over 37 million words of philosophical content from:
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- HathiTrust/Google Books Collection
The InPho makes it possible to search and navigate via relations among philosophical ideas scholars and works.
The InPhO is constructed by a novel 3-step semi-automated process, called dynamic ontology:
- Data Mining — Natural language processing (NLP) techniques generate statistical hypothesis about the relationships among philosophically-salient topics.
- Expert Feedback — These hypotheses are evaluated by domain experts through online interfaces.
- Machine Reasoning — A machine reasoning program uses feedback and statistical measures to populate the ontology.
Further details on dynamic ontology can be found on the Articles and Papers page.